Day -2
Today is Day –(minus) 2. It is called this because the day he gets his stem cells back will be day 0. Today he is set to receive a high dose of chemo to kill the myeloma and a lot of medication to help with the nausea he will most likely encounter because of the chemo.
Dad was checked into his room around 10:30AM. His room is a little better than the one he had the last time he was here. The view out the window is decent with some trees and vegetation. The tree closest to the window has a nest built in the limbs. We will have to keep an eye out to see what type of creature this is the home of.
They were unable to draw blood from his line for his lab work, so they had to draw it from his hand. He had never gotten blood taken from his hand before and said it was pretty painful.
After they brought his lunch, mom and I walked down to the hotel, Varsity Inn, where she will be staying at the next 3 weeks while dad is in the hospital. It was about a 20 minute walk from the hospital. When she had talked to them on the phone they had quoted her a price of $55/week. We thought this was a special rate they were giving to us because of the situation. When we got to the hotel he brought out the rental agreement and it had $55/night. We agreed with the desk clerk that this was a misunderstanding and that we would only be staying with them for 2 nights instead of the 21 we had previously made reservations for. Mom says she is going to just stay in Dad’s room in a roll-away bed or in the family waiting room, because she cannot afford the $1000+ it would cost to stay at the hotel. We then stopped by Wendy’s for lunch and then walked back.
When we got back dad was already getting the chemo (Melphalan) and was almost finished. He was told to chew ice for 6 hours afterwards to help prevent from getting mouth sours.
Mom found a new place to park for $28/month rather than $5/day. This should help with some of the expenses.
The rest of the night was uneventful. I left the hospital around 9:15PM and dad was getting settled in to go to sleep. He was having a little back discomfort from lying around all day. He was also getting shaky from the steroids they had given him to help with the nausea.
4 comments:
This is such a great way for everyone to stay updated on Larry's condition! Larry stay strong and know that you and Julie are in our thoughts and prayers. Take care of each other. I will be checking in often!
Kudos to Nate! What a great way to keep us posted. Larry, I didn't realize how much you looked like your Grandpa Walters until I saw your picture! :) You said "day by day" and that is how I'm praying. For you too, Julie. Love to all.
Thanks Nate!
Hope this helps everyone keep tabs. Keep posting everyone. Let Nate know your logging on.
Dad, We are all pulling for you. Focus stubbornly on the goal of getting well. Numbers don't matter because there is only one choice at this point and that is to fight like hell. For now, just believe the sick cloud of chemo will pass and when the sun shines again Mason always looks forward to going outside and playing with grandpa.
I guess I can see what Jean is talking about, Grandpa Walters, I mean. It's been a long time since I seen Larry without some facial hair. In this one thing I am confident, that God loves us, and trusting in that gives an indescribable peace. Thanks Nate for starting the Blog. Larry and Julie, hope to see you soon.
Post a Comment